Session one: Getting to Know You
Making a good first impression is a key to effective communication, especially when meeting people face-to-face. During this session, we will discuss the importance of in-person meetings, polished presentations and delivering speeches.
- Better plan, organize and deliver public presentations.
- Understand when and why to include technology such as PowerPoint.
- Review good habits of leading both small and large meetings.
Session two: Being Media Savvy
Phone interviews, news conferences, blog posts, news releases - they are all ways of connecting with local reporters. An effective media campaign requires consistent, professional and sometimes methodical relationship building. We'll discuss how to work with reporters, how to give rock star interviews and how to create meaningful messages that will help get you media coverage.
- Develop a media list and understand ways of proactively reaching out to local reporters, editors and bloggers.
- Increase comfort level with interviews.
- Create a media relations plan.
Session three: Communication the WRITE Way
Learn how to write effective news releases, letters, speeches and other important documents that are valuable tools in communicating your ideas and message to constituents and other stakeholders.
- Understand how to create/write an effective news release (templates for future use will be provided).
- Differentiate between active and passive writing.
- Define good writing and how to apply writing skills in different applications (internal and external business writing, social media posts, media writing).
Session four: Making Social Media Professional
Learn how to embrace the power of social media networks by creating effective messages that include photos and video. We will discuss the basics of multiple social media platforms including Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, and Instagram and learn ways to use technology to streamline and schedule your social media posts and responses.
- Understand the difference between professional and personal social media accounts
- Recognize the key characteristics of all applicable social media platforms (LinkedIn, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube)
- Appropriately utilize social media to share news and messages.
- Manage social media accounts with services such as Hootsuite.
All PA MATC sessions include online course assignments and interactive discussions, plus online presentations by qualified instructors.
Click below to view the professional profiles of the PA MATC instructors.
COMMUNICATIONS COURSE SCHEDULE
The Communications course will offer four weekly sessions over the period of one month.